Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cheerleaders

Cheerleaders?  You mean those cute perky girls who jump all around and do backflips, splits and all sorts of crazy chants?  NO, I just had to use this as a title because it sounds good.  The more appropriate word is Encourager.

I ran my 5K Saturday and I hit my goal of making the 3.1 miles in under 40 minutes!  I was very happy with myself.  But even better was having my "cheerleaders" there watching me and yelling for me to finish my race.  One of my sons even ran some of the tail end of the race with me and was coaching me "Come on Mom, you got this!"  My family gave me wonderful support and encouragement Saturday morning.  I was so nervous; my mouth was dry, my hands were shaking, I was confused on where to go and getting my registration packet.  But my calm husband just gently lead me to the right place and helped me with my timing device.  He was being a very understanding cheerleader!

I was thinking back of the race and of all the preparation for this 5K and how my friends and family have been my cheerleaders and it reminded me of Ecclesiastes 4:9 - 12, "Two are better than one, because they get a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!  Also, if  two lie down together, they will keep warm.  But how can one keep warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three starnds is not quickly broken." 
Many times during my training runs my children would ride their bikes along beside me and encourage me to keep going.  Sometimes they would be out playing in the yard and when I passed by I would get my cheerleaders spurring me on to the next loop.  Or having a friend running right along side me; training for the same big event.  What a great feeling!  To know that I have cheerleaders out there who love me and wish for me to do well in my endeavors!  And just think I have an even bigger cheerleader who will never leave me and is always rooting for me!  I am truly blessed!

2 comments:

  1. it was great knowing they were there and I knew I had a big hug coming from my hubby at the end....I hope I don't give God too many opportunities to make that "awwww" sound when someone doesn't qutie make it.....But I'm sure I do on many occasion.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spiritual application! It is so great to have cheerleaders in life - those who can pick us up when we fall down and who encourage us to keep going when times get tough. Love it!

    ReplyDelete